Sunday 29 January 2012

On the road to the 6ft Track


Is it possible to sign up for a marathon by accident? Or perhaps I'm too easily influenced by other people?

I have 'accidentally' signed up for The Six Foot Track, one of Australia's craziest marathons. I agreed to keep my friend Trish company without realising just how tough it is going to be. The race starts from Katoomba and ends at the Jenolan Caves in the Blues Mountains. Forty five kilometres on very hilly fire trails. If you want to see how hilly check out the elevation chart here.

In order to prepare I've joined the Sydney Striders running group. You might have seen the Striders running round Sydney in their distinctive green and white. The club seems really friendly so far and when I've been out training in my green and white top I've had a few 'hellos' and 'go Striders!' from other members.

I've done three pretty grueling training runs so far. There was the Kedumba half marathon, which is the toughest race I've done. This year I've been on two bust runs with the Striders. Quary Road up in Hornsby and this weekend the Roseville Ripsnorter. It was a very technical bush run with lots of rocks, trees roots and a few creek crossings as well. Luckily I survived with only a small graze on my leg.


Six weeks to go. I just hope I'm ready!

1 comment:

  1. I've walked the Six Foot track several times, but I'm not sure I would want to run it. You miss out on all the natural beauty if you run it.

    Since your a sucker for punishment, then you might consider running the Everest Marathon.

    http://www.everestmarathon.org.uk/

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.